This award was started by a donor wanting to assist students who don’t have the family means and structures in place to help them to attend University, and is named after her mother, who faced precisely those kinds of challenges in her life.
The official criteria:
- Students enrolled full-time in the University of Arizona with a demonstrated financial need.
- Preference will be given to first-generation undergraduates (first in family to go to college) who demonstrate resilience in the face of adversity and a passion for learning as Olympia Stavrou Parker did in the pursuit of her college education.
- Preference will be given to students majoring in Gender and Women’s Studies; however, if no suitable candidate is found within the major, preference will be given to students majoring in History or Political Science.
- Preference will be given to undergraduates with a minimum 3.0 GPA and demonstrated leadership capacity.
- The award may be renewed up to three years, given the recipient/s is/are able to maintain eligibility.“
The award is $2,000 per year (divided in half per semester) and follows a student through their time at UA.
Nominations must be made by a faculty member of or an affiliated faculty member to the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies, but faculty may mention this opportunity to their classes to identify potential students.
Contact for more information email.
Monique Wittig Writer's Scholarship
Applications will be accepted in Spring 2019.
This scholarship is offered every other year in honor of the life and work of Monique Wittig, French novelist, poet and social theorist. Wittig was a professor at the University of Arizona, Tucson from 1990 to 2003. First published as a novelist, Monique Wittig's fiction revolutionized French literature. Mary McCarthy called her “the best writer anywhere of her generation.” Wittig's fiction, as well as theoretical writing, has had a fundamental and worldwide impact upon feminist theory and lesbian and gay theory.
In honor of Monique Wittig, the Monique Wittig Writer’s Scholarship will foster innovation in literary forms and the connection between politics and language. It will allow University of Arizona graduate and undergraduate students to allocate more time to their writing.
This scholarship is open to writers in all fields including literature, film, theater, poetry, essays and new/mixed media. The winner will be expected to present from the work in progress at the awards ceremony.
Contact the general Department email to apply.
See the Monique Wittig website.
Horton Yeager Memorial Scholarship
This fund supports the GWS Student Emergency Fund, providing $500.00 annually to be used by GWS students - graduate or undergraduate - in crisis.
It is not a loan, but a one-time gift to help bridge the financial gap in an emergency.
If you are a currently enrolled UA student, majoring or minoring in GWS, and would like to apply for emergency funds through the Horton Yeager Memorial Scholarship, fill out the confidential application form HERE or copy and paste https://thehub.arizona.edu/forms/53/create into your browser.
For more information or to designate your gift to the Horton Yeager Memorial Scholarship, contact Leigh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more undergraduate scholarships or travel stipends, visit the WISE website.